Friday, August 31, 2012

Ferrero Rocher Brownie Trifles


Some people say you shouldn't try new recipes out on company. I say live a little! 

We were planning to have company over so I pulled up a few recipes I'd been wanting to try. I showed Rob the Nutella Brownies I'd been dying to make. The Rolo Brownie Trifles I'd been eyeing. And the Mint Chocolate No Bake Cheesecake

Without thinking twice he said I should make the trifles, but with Ferrero Rocher's instead of Rolos. 

And so I did!

I made a few substitutions to the original recipe(s) to accommodate the change. 

Here are the basics: 


First you whip up some brownies and gently press some Ferrero Rocher pieces into the batter. 



After you bake it you cut the brownies into small squares.


Assemble the trifles in layers starting with some fresh chocolate whip cream. 

Then sprinkle on some Ferrero Rocher brownies.

Place some Ferrero Rocher candy pieces on top of the layer of brownies. 

Drizzle some chocolate fudge on top. 

Repeat. Again. And again. As many times as your dish will allow.  


This can be assembled in individual sized cups, or as layers in a larger trifle dish. 

Let me warn you... these are rich. As in, I portioned these out into rather small cups and it was too much for me to finish. That's saying something considering the fact that I have a serious sweet tooth!

I believe these cups are about 6 to 8 ounces. I didn't even come close to finishing mine. 

But what I did eat was oh so good! 


Brownie Layer:

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
24 Ferrero Rocher candies (19 chopped in pieces, 5 chopped in half for garnish), divided

(To make this dessert a little less sweet or a little less spendy, forego sprinkling the candies into the brownie batter and just buy 1 pack of 12 candy pieces instead of 2.) 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8X8 glass baking dish and set aside. 

Combine the cocoa powder, flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl. 

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the sugar until combined. 

Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. 

Mix the dry ingredients in until well combined and pour the batter into the prepared pan. 

Evenly distribute about half of the chopped Ferrero Rochers on top of the brownies and gently press them part way down into the batter.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. 

Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into bite sized pieces. 


Chocolate Whip Cream Layer:

3 cups heavy cream
4-6 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract 

In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream and cocoa powder on medium high speed until it starts to thicken. Reduce speed to low and sprinkle the sugar into the cream. Turn the mixer on high and continue whipping until firm peaks form. Stir in the vanilla. Refrigerate until ready to use. 


Fudge Layer:

1 jar of chocolate fudge sauce
1 plastic ziploc baggie

Scoop half a jar of chocolate fudge sauce into a plastic baggie and cut a small hole in the corner. 

Or by all means, make your own fudge sauce. I didn't have time, I was already starting a bit later than I'd hoped. My preference is to have dinner just about ready by the time company arrives. But I started these delicious desserts before I started dinner and I *may* have gotten a little carried away with these. I did eventually get around to serving dinner, but really, I would have been happy forgoing dinner altogether and skipping straight to dessert!


Assembling the Layers:


Place a layer of whipped cream on the bottom of your dish. Cover with a layer of brownie pieces and some chopped Ferrero Rocher candies. Drizzle with chocolate fudge sauce. Repeat as many times as your dish(es) will allow. Garnish with brownie pieces, chopped candies, more chocolate fudge sauce and a Ferrero Rocher half. 


Refrigerate until ready to serve. Makes 6-10 individual sized trifles or one large trifle, depending on the size of serving dish. 

The best part of all, this dish only contains 10 calories and 0 grams of fat. You see, when you break up the brownie pieces all of the calories and fat fall right out! Amazing isn't it?

No comments: