Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Homemade Maple Nut Granola


IMG_5777
I’ve recently discovered that I like yogurt… only when paired with a little bit of granola. I was reading ingredient lists on the bulk food bins the other day trying to decide which granola to buy when I thought, “I bet I could make this at home way cheaper and with fewer, healthier ingredients.”
So I opted not to buy any knowing that it would force me to figure out how to make some of this yummy deliciousness on my own. I shouldn’t be surprised, but it was so easy! I looked at a few recipes on-line and found one that I could do with the ingredients I had on hand. I made a few changes to fit my dietary preferences and tossed the ingredients in a bowl. It truly only took me a few minutes to throw together.
IMG_5757
I stuck it in the oven for 20 minutes and voila… delicious homemade granola. Fast. Cheap. Simple. Gotta love it!
Homemade Maple Nut Granola
  • 3 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 5 teaspoons coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
  • 5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, toss together oats, pecans, almonds, salt, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
  2. Spread oat mixture on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Let cool completely.
IMG_5752
See… simple! Did I mention it was delicious? I might start eating this stuff by the handful just as a snack.
I feel so domestic when I make something from scratch. My pocketbook loves when I make things that use the ingredients that are already in my pantry. And I love how I feel knowing exactly what I’m putting into my body. Win/win, right?

1 comment:

Rob and Alida said...

hi I am just reading your post looking at ways of honouring our pastor's wife and my 2 yr old is sitting on my lap. looks at the picture of homemade maple nut granola and goes yum yum